I started blogging here back in 2002 because it allowed me to get my opinions, thoughts and views to an audience without much expense.
I have worked at many things, including the whole writing jazz and in startups. I’ve have been published in such titles as the Irish Examiner, the New Statesman the Sunday Business Post, The Sunday Times, Village, the Irish Times and the Independent/Sunday Independent.
I drink Murphy’s, Beamish or Bulmers, depending on the weather.
- I am the co-founder and CEO of Vizlegal, a legal tech company.
- I worked at Storyful from inception in 2010 to 2014 as Director of Innovation, and left 6 months after it was acquired by News Corp.
- I train journalists in two main areas: FOIA/Data journalism/investigations & eyewitness content discovery/verification
- I am an advisor to Access Info Europe, a technology advisor to the OTP at the International Criminal Court, and to fintech alternate data startup Eagle Alpha.
- I studied politics and history in UCC, and graduated in 2008
- I am the co-founder of Right To Know, thestory.ie and helped get KildareStreet.com off the ground.
- I studied philosophy at Milltown from 1998 to 2000.
This is my collection of books. (I will read them all some day)
I am known in the blogosphere partly for:
An initial distrust of Google (2003)
Being threatened with legal action by author John Gray (2004).
Appearing on Irish television to talk about blogging (2005)
A Chronology of Bertie Ahern’s resignation (2008)
Visiting Georgia after the war (2008)
You can reach me at: gavinsblog at gmail dot com.