Detractors of hip hop culture and rap music prompt to say that « anybody can rap », that « rap aint music, its crap ». All those people are totally wrong in their judgements, because they totally ignore what rap music is all about. Its is so easy to be demeaning towards something they dont even understand.
Rap music cannot be viewed the way you would look at classical music, but it is a very complicated and sophisticated art.
A good rapper needs to have a lot of qualities :
– First, to be credible, he needs to come from a hip hop cultural background.
Although rap music was born and has been developped by the black community, it has a universal vocation.
– he must be able to write good quality lyrics. Instead of being shocked by the many cusswords you can find inside of a rap text, people should try to look at the poetry and the meaning of the words. Many rap lyrics are street poetry.
– He needs to have a good sense of rythm and the rythm he puts in his music must marry with the text.
– A good MC needs to captivate his audience, he needs to have charisma
– A good must be balanced in his body and be a good breakdancer
– And many more
Hip hop is a very complete artistic expression which uses painting (graffitis), music (rap), dance (breakdance), poetry. Hip hop culture should be respected as a cultural enrichment to society.
It is so untrue that « anybody can rap ». Rapping is a real job that requires a lot of work. There are so many rappers on this planet, but not all of them can claim to be good rappers.